The Houma Area Convention & Visitor’s Bureau is accepting resumes for a Communication Specialist. Applicants must have outstanding written and oral communication skills, as well as strong computer skills. Must have knowledge of writing press releases, story pitching, and talking points. Applicants must be able to work with journalist, bloggers, travel writers and be comfortable with public speaking. Knowledge of Terrebonne Parish is required.
Qualified applicants can submit cover letter and resumes to Sondra Corbitt at email@example.com.
Resumes only. EEOC.
Houma Area Convention & Visitor’s Bureau
Communication Specialist Job Description
JOB SUMMARY: Identifies communications by strategically planning and implementing programs to highlight Terrebonne Parish, and directs all communication and public relations functions. Develops special marketing projects and activities including industry and special event promotions. Acts as the liaison for Travel Writers and editors for media coverage for Terrebonne Parish.
LEVEL OF WORK: Manager
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Administrative direction from the Executive Director and Destination Development Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Development of events promoting Terrebonne Parish:
- Create, manage, schedule, and coordinate events to be hosted by the HACVB.
- Facilitate seminars/webinars with pertinent information for local and prospective event organizers, school groups, industry partners, and social groups.
- Maintain good and working relationships with past and potential sponsors to partner for events.
- Coordination of National Tourism Week and other industry events.
- Develop an awareness program – contact travel writers, editors, and related media associates to solicit editorial coverage selling Terrebonne Parish as a leisure and convention destination.
- Maintain database of media outlets and travel writers for news releases.
- Provides information, assistance, fulfills requests and offer service to travel writers, convention writers, food writers, and other media.
- Design and develops press FAM to secure coverage of our destination’s brand, features, and attractions.
- Acts as liaison with LOT in planning and coordinating press FAM tours to Terrebonne Parish.
- Partner with regional CVBs to develop media tours with relevant and consistent themes.
- Acts as the HACVB’s contact in SEOPA, SATW and OWAA to encourage outdoor shows and articles to be written/filmed about Terrebonne Parish.
- Assist in covering events and festivals on all social media platforms.
- Attend public relations sales meeting and missions.
- Maintain and update Simpleview’s database of media contacts and activities.
- Maintain an up-to-date press kit with story ideas, images, and local facts.
- Story pitching to perspective media and with Mindy Bianca Public Relations.
- Fulfill request for information, images, and videos.
- Press releases on new activities, data, events, etc.
- Track earned media and ROI.
- Maintain relationship with regional/Gulf Coast CVB’s for potential media partnerships.
- Coordinate the dissemination of publications.
- Maintain and update partnership and fulfill PR request from the GATOR group.
- Creation of blogging content.
- Public speaking and television/film spots upon request.
- Compose and distribute quarterly industry newsletter.
- Compose needed written material such as award nominations, letters, and speeches.
- Content creation for all HACVB’s assets such as adventure guides, brochures, sales planners, rack cards, website content, etc.
- Update and maintain the HACVB’s listings on LOT’s microsites on www.louisianatravel.com.
- Communicate with partners and community to better leverage Terrebonne’s tourism’s assets.
- Develop and implement a communication strategy that includes media outlets.
- Research, write and submit press releases to media outlets on all HACVB’s news, new attractions, events, etc.
- Performs duties as assigned by the Executive Director and Destination Development Manager.
- Baccalaureate degree in public relations, marketing, or communications.
- Proficiency in oral and writing skills.
- Proficiency in current technology and software.
- Experience in media relations.
- Strong attention to detail and proofreading.
- Ability to travel and work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends.
- Full-time work experience in tourism marketing or public relation field may considered as a substitute for degree.